Do you want to become a freight broker?
- 1Consider enrolling in an educational program that teaches the ins and outs of being a freight broker. Both online and classroom programs are available.
- 2Register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration as a freight broker. File the 0P-1 Application for Motor Property Carrier and Broker Authority form mandated by the FMCSA. Pay a $300 registration fee. Wait for a Motor Carrier Number to be assigned to you before you complete the rest of the freight broker application.
- 3Obtain insurance or post a bond in the amount of $10,000. Contact an insurance agent or your local financial institution to arrange for a surety bond or policy in the required amount.
- 4File proof of insurance coverage with FMCSA. Choose an agent in each state where you write business to serve as a Process Agent in case of legal action. Fill out a BOC-3 Form, Designation of Process Agent Form and file it with FMCSA.
- 5Wait four to six weeks for your application to be processed. Obtain your FMCSA Authority and you are a licensed broker. Begin a freight broker business of your own or apply for employment with a freight brokerage firm.
Thanks For Reading!
We Use Messenger to Keep People Updated on Brokers News!