As a third party intermediary, there are certain things that need to do before becoming a full-pledged freight broker agent. Here is the list of the things you have to remember and carry out to jump-start your career in the freight brokering business.
Freight Brokering and Freight Broker Agents
Experience in the transportation industry and working for manufacturer or trucking company is a natural first step. You will gain sufficient information and understanding about the whole operation if you have experience in the industry.
Freight broker agent training and freight broker books available online will provide knowledge and strategies for marketing, sales, operations and licensing in the transportation industry. Taking advantage of online classes will help you practice and learn the fundamentals of the business. Parallel to in-classroom training, you can obtain the overview of the career and the regulations surrounding the industry.
Having strong communication skills is a plus factor to become a successful freight broker agent. You have to develop a far-reaching contact list. Having a network of shippers and truckers can help you build your customer base. By talking to them, you can establish a constant business relationship.
Establishing a good reputation and proficiency in the field locally is also important. You can geo-target your business by focusing on a particular region or city. You can also evaluate the market demand for specialized services like heavy loads, perishable goods or fragile items.
You have to discover your shipper’s needs and desires. Make sure you know how to cover all the bases with prospective customers by being thorough. Pay close attention to all the details like the time and place of pickup and delivery, method of transport, etc..
Tips for Freight Broker Agent on Handling Tasks
1. Once the company hires you for assistance, you can then talk about your commission fee. You can check loading boards online each morning.
2. Find a trustworthy trucking company that offer suitable services for the goods. You can also have agreement with various trucking companies to be your partner.
3. You can send a contract to the trucking company containing all the information. They will need to sign off and send it back once they agree to take the goods.
4. You can then call the manufacturer or shipper to let them know the schedule of pickup and delivery.
5. Just make sure there will be no delays on the shipment by staying in touch with the driver to ensure everything is progressing well.
6. Inform the manufacturer or shipper immediately when the goods have been delivered. You can pay the trucking company for the delivery service then send an invoice to the manufacturer or shipper for your fees.
You can be more occupied if you have your own freight brokerage company than working as freight broker agent. You must have excellent funds or good credit score to get loans that you may need to run the company. You have to pay the trucking service promptly. Insurance, bonds and licenses are also your responsibility.