[box type="shadow"]According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in the United States, any commercial truck used for interstate transit and over the gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds is required to have a Motor Carrier Authority (MC) number. This number is issued by the FMCSA and generally takes a driver around ten business days to become active and be issued a MC number. By contacting the FMCSA, you can check to see if anyone else is using your MC number.[/box]
1. Gather up your documents including your PIN number. The FMCSA mailed you a PIN number that you will need to check your MC number online.
2. Visit the FMCSA website. Click on “Registration and Licensing” on the top menu. Select “Operating Authority Search” from the drop-down menu.
3. Select “Carrier Search” from the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Add your MC number, legal name and state that you operate out of. Click “Search.”
4. Review the results. Enter your PIN number if necessary. Make sure that your name, address and telephone number is correct. If someone else is using your MC number, some information may be incorrect. You can also see if any other names are tied to your MC number.
5. Call 1-866-637-0635 if you do not have access to the Internet or if the information you found suggests someone else is using your MC number.